Today, I have a super quick appetizer recipe. One of my personal favorites: pesto balsamic baked french bread, great with soups, salads, pasta or really anything! This was actually one of the first first recipes I came up with when I was in middle school (it wasn’t vegan then of course), it was delicious then and it is delicious now! It is light enough to have in the summer or with a rich vegan stew. You can also add vegan mozzarella or parmesan for an extra layer of flavor! Okay, I think it is time for the recipe!
- 1 loaf of gluten-free french bread
- 1 vine tomato
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup of fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon of Nutritional Yeast
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- Drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil, until desired consistency of pesto is reached
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- First, we are going to prepare our pesto. In a food processor, pulse together your basil, garlic, Nutritional Yeast, parsley, salt, pepper and olive oil. Add olive oil slowly until desired consistency is reached.
- Set your pesto aside and thinly chop your tomato into halves.
- Next, we are going to prepare the french bread, I like to slice the bread once down the middle (as if you were making a sandwich) and then into individual wedges for easy eating.
- Now we are going to combine all of our ingredients. On an oiled baking sheet place your french bread down first.
- Add a spoonful of pesto onto each wedge of bread and spread until the whole surface is covered. Place one slice of tomato onto each piece of bread.
- Taking your balsamic vinegar, lightly drizzle it over the bread. This doesn’t have to be even, I just like to make sure that every piece has a little bit on it.
- Place your baking sheet in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy!
Servings: Makes 4 servings
Prep & Cook time: 25 minutes
Hope you try this recipe out and thanks so much for stopping by!!
*This post contains some affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using this link.