Today I bring to you one of my favorite vegetables! BEETS! I love beets anyway they are prepared but this has to be one of my favorite beet recipes! It is a lightly pickled salad with garlic, basil, onions and of course beets. This recipe is a perfect side dish or addition to your favorite salad! Let’s get into the recipe!
- 6 medium sized golden beets
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- 1 cup of fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- To start off you will need to wash and peel your beets and slice them into thin rounds.
- Steam your sliced beets for about 25 minutes or until they are fork tender.
- While your beets are cooking prep your ingredients for the pickling liquid. Slice your onion into thin rounds and smash your garlic cloves.
- In a small pot add in water, apple cider vinegar, seasoning, your sliced onions and garlic cloves. Boil the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Slice your basil however you please and set aside.
- When your beets and pickling liquid are done cooking mix them together in the pot. Add in your basil and give the beet salad one more stir!
- Pour your salad into a jar or serving dish and enjoy!
Servings: Makes 8 servings
Prep & Cook Time: 45 minutes
These beets are delectable, quick and a super easy recipe to make! Hope you enjoy this recipe!
Pickled beets are a holiday tradition in my family. Move over cranberry sauce, this vibrant side dish is on the rise!! There are a ton of variations of this recipe but this personally is my favorite, I make it at home all the time! It is a super quick and easy recipe that you can make way before hand!
Let’s Get Started!
- 15 medium red beets
- 1 large white onion
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of raw cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon of allspice
- Start off by rinsing off your beets and peeling them.
- When your beets are all peeled you can slice them into thin rounds, mine are usually around 1/4 of an inch but slice them however you please!
- In a large pot with a steamer basket, fill the pot with water until it reaches the steamer basket (if you have a steamer basket that sits at the bottom of the pan, if not, fill your pot with water about 1/8 of the way). Turn the pot on high heat and boil water until the water steams. Pour in your beets and cover with a lid for 15 minutes or until your beets are fork tender.
- While your beets are steaming, slice your onion into thin rounds and place them into a small saucepan.
- In the saucepan add in, your water, apple cider vinegar, sugar, cinnamon and all spice. Bring this mixture to a boil and cover for 15 minutes or until the onions become translucent.
- Once you have your beets steamed and your pickling liquid ready, get out a jar or container and pour them both into the jar and mix!
- That’s it! I like to let mine set for a couple hours at least before serving but they can be served right away! I would suggest keeping the beets in a jar in your fridge, I keep mine for 2 weeks!
*This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using this link.
Servings: Makes 8 servings
Prep & Cook Time: 50 minutes
Hope you try this recipe out and enjoy!