Today I bring to you a recipe that encompasses the true meaning of veganizing a recipe! A classic comfort food like a tuna melt made vegan for all of us to savor! For this recipe I used one of my favorite vegan products, vegan toona. I buy mine at my local whole foods but I will add a link to buy online as well. It is definitely the best “fake” animal product that I have tried. This recipe is easily customizable and doesn’t take much time. Perfect for a yummy lunch or snack!
Let’s get into the recipe!
- 4 slices of your favorite gluten-free bread
- 1 can of vegan toona
- 3 tablespoons of vegan mayo
- 1/2 of an avocado
- 1/2 cup of vegan shredded cheese
- 1 or 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- *optional* 3 tablespoons of alfalfa sprouts
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- First, let’s start off by making our “tuna” mixture. Drain one can of vegan toona and add it into a small mixing bowl with your mayo, avocado and seasoning. Mash together until everything is well combined.
- Brush your slices of bread with olive oil and place them in a large skillet on medium heat to brown.
- Slice your tomato into thin rounds and set aside until your bread is golden brown.
- Once your bread has crisped up a bit it is time to assemble! Lay your bread on a baking sheet and spread a generous amount of your “tuna” mixture onto the bread.
- Next add on your shredded cheese and alfalfa sprouts.
- Top with a tomato slice and a tiny drizzle of balsamic vinegar and place your toasts in the oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Once they are are ooey gooey and golden brown, take them out of the oven and let them cool for a minute and enjoy!!
Servings: Makes 2-4 servings
Prep & cook time: 25 minutes
Hope you get to try out this recipe!! Happy Cooking!
*This post contains some affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using this link.