Today’s recipe is a new twist on everyone’s favorite side dish.. MASHED POTATOES! Potatoes are one of my favorite foods, but sometimes they need some funk. This recipe has smokey caramelized onions and cheesy nutritional yeast cream!!!! I mean come on. It doesn’t get better than cheesy mash potatoes! & of course this recipe is gluten-free and vegan!
Let’s Get Started
SMOKED PAPRIKA CHEESY MASHED POTATOES
- 8 Yukon Potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3/4 cup of non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/4 cup of Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- To start off preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and place your potatoes (I leave the skins on) into the water and cook until they are fork tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking start preparing the sauce that will make the potatoes into “mash”. Chop your onion into thin slices and add it to a sauté pan with some olive oil. Chop your rosemary and garlic and add it to the onions. Once they have cooked down a bit, pour in your almond milk, Nutritional Yeast and seasonings and let this simmer. It will tighten up into a cheesy sauce.
- When your potatoes are fork tender strain them and pour them back into the pot. Start mashing them with either a masher or fork. When they are almost completely mashed, pour in your onion sauce and mix thoroughly.
- Place the mixture in an oven safe pan and cook for around 10 minutes, just to get a nice golden color to the top. Take them out of the oven and enjoy!!!
Total Time: 50 minutes
Makes 4 servings
Hope you give this one a try! It is so delicious and smokey! Enjoy!