Today I am super excited to share this recipe because it is my all time favorite holiday recipe!! My mom has been making these potatoes forever, they are so delicious and are a hit every time. This recipe is a classic Swedish holiday dish turned vegan, think of baked potatoes, caramelized onions, and cream! Yum!So far I have only made this recipe with cashews but I will be making a nut-free version in the future. I recommend to serve these potatoes with lingonberries and keep it simple!
Let’s Get Started!
- 6-8 golden potatoes
- 2 large yellow onions
- 2 cups of soaked cashews
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 3 tablespoons of vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast
- Salt& pepper to taste, be generous with seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Rinse your potatoes and slice them into fry shapes (you can peel them if you would like as well, I prefer not too).
- Place all your potatoes into a large baking dish and set them aside.
- Peel your onions and thinly slice them into half circles and place them in a skillet with some olive oil to brown. Let them cook until they are translucent and golden then transfer them into your baking dish along with the potatoes.
- In a food processor, pulse together your soaked cashews, almond milk, butter, nutritional yeast and seasoning until it is a creamy sauce.
- Pour the cashew cream over your potatoes and onions and mix it all together.
- Place your potatoes in the oven and let them bake for about one hour of until they are fork tender and golden brown.
- Let them cool for a few minutes and serve!
Servings: Makes 4-6 servings
Prep&Cook Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Hope you enjoy this recipe, it is my favorite dish of the holiday season and now it is vegan!