I love anything fried, always have and I am sure always will. This recipe was inspired first by a green bean casserole that will be up soon but turned into me realizing fried onions can go on anything! Sandwiches, stir fry, burgers, you name it! So use these delicious little guys for anything you please! This recipe is super quick and makes a ton! As always this recipe is gluten-free and vegan!
Let’s Get Into the Recipe
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons of gluten-free flour
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of Nutritional Yeast
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for frying
*This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using this link.
- To start off get out a mixing bowl and start making the batter for the onions. Mix together your flour, water, Nutritional Yeast, baking powder and seasoning. The batter should be like a slightly thinner pancake batter.
- Cut your onion in half and slice into thin half circles. Place them in the batter and mix until every onion is coated.
- In a large skillet fill a pan with oil just until the bottom of the pan is covered and turn it to medium heat. When your oil is hot place your first batch of onions into cook, fry them for 5-7 minutes or until they are crispy and golden brown. Flip them half way during their cooking time.
- Once they are done, place the onions on a pan lined with paper towels to drain off the excess oil.
- Continue frying batches until all your onions are fried, now you just have to decide what to put them on(I am guilty of eating them alone.. oops) and enjoy!!
Servings: Depends on what you use them for but I would say at least 4-6 servings.
Prep & Cook Time: 25 minutes
Hope you love this recipe as much as I do!