Happy Wednesday Everyone!
Today I am coming at you with a recipe for one of my favorite childhood foods, tofu corn dogs!!! They used to sell a box of these bad boys at Trader Joes, not gluten-free of course, but they were delicious! Recently I have gotten back into eating tofu dogs and I decided to try to make corn dogs! I used a coarse corn meal for this recipe because I like more gritty corn bread usually, but if you like a more fluffy taste use a finely ground corn meal 🙂
Let’s Get Started
- 4-6 tofu dogs
- 1/2 cup of yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup of Garbanzo Bean Flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons of non-dairy milk (I use almond milk)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Package of skewers
- Frying oil of your choice, I use a mix of canola and olive oil
- In a mixing bowl, mix together corn meal, garbanzo bean flour, non-dairy milk, olive oil, baking powder, and the seasoning. Once all the ingredients are combined (the batter should look like thick, gritty pancake batter) pour the mixture into a tall skinny glass, for easy dipping.
- Fill a small pot or pan with your oil of choice and allow the oil to start heating over medium heat.
- Remove your tofu dogs from their package and carefully poke each tofu dog with a skewer, put them off to the side once they are ready.
- Place one tofu dog at a time into the glass of batter and make sure they are completely covered before placing them in the fryer. If you don’t have a thermometer to test how hot the oil is, I like to just place a tiny dollop of the batter and if quickly bubbles up then the oil is ready!
- Place one tofu dog at a time into the fryer and wait until they are golden brown, this took about a minute for me but just watch them carefully.
- When your corn dogs are done place them on a plate with a paper towel for the excess oil to drain.
- Now you are ready to serve with your favorite sauce!
Servings: Makes 2 servings
Time: Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 6 minutes